As a first time mom one question I struggled with in approaching Cora’s first birthday is what to do about a cake. Letting the birthday child smash cake in face is a fun tradition full of laughs and makes great pictures, but if spent the last year trying to make the healthiest choices for them that you it can feel like the beginning of the end. As the day crept closer, people would ask me what I planned to do and I cringed inside of the thought of the thought of a whole cake from the store or box mix sitting in front of her. As you find out from some of my other post I am not a big fan food ingredient that one don’t sound at all like food, two I can’t even pronounce and three were manufactured and not grown like food should be.
I decided to keep the fun tradition, but in a healthier way. Instead of a cake I made cupcakes. Instead of a box mix, I made the cake from scratch. Instead the normal flour, sugar and water I used healthier ingredients. It was a nice compromise. We were able to keep the fun tradition, get the funny pictures and stick to our goal of eating well. There are a lot of them out there. You can make white cake with pinto beans, chocolate cake with black beans, carrot or banana cakes. You can find recipes that include no sugar. I picked one that seemed simple and that I thought would turn out with a somewhat normal consistency. I did pick one that included sugar, but knew still had nutritional value. I also knew that by giving her a cupcake there would be an end the cake eating. Here is the recipe I used. Hope you enjoy!
Healthy Carrot Banana Muffins Recipe (via GroupRecipes.com)
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 Tbsp flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each: allspice and cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups grated carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- Place first 6 ingredients (until salt) in blender or food processor and blend until fine.
- Stir all remaining ingredients together until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until moist.
- Pour into muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes or until just firm on top.
- Cool then cover with icing.
- One package of plain cream cheese
- ¼ cup of pure maple syrup (the real stuff)
- Blend together
- Then spread onto the cooled cupcakes
I hope you and your little one enjoy this healthier cake option (or any) birthday celebration…I know we all did. Have any thoughts about this cake or even some healthy cake recipes yourself…leave a comment below.