This breakfast sandwich is a great tasting morning meal. We enjoyed it on a cold saturday morning after our group long run. While you don’t have to run 10 miles to fully appreciate this sandwich, it is a healthy and very tasty sandwich. Feel free to make any modifications to the recipe to suit your particular tastes and enjoy.
- 1 slice of Ezekiel bread (learn about ezekiel bread here)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/8 cup of Milk (or less)
- 1/2 tbsp. butter or coconut oil (or just enough to coat pan)
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp dijon or spicy mustard
- 1 cup or so, fresh spinach leaves
- 1 slab of feta cheese or slice of mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- pinch ground red pepper
- 1/8 cup or less of chopped red onions (we like a lot)
- Turn the oven onto broil and heat a skillet to over medium heat.
- Take one piece of bread. I recommend one made by sprouted grains like Ezekiel 4:9 bread. This is often kept in the freezer. I thaw it briefly in the oven as it heats up.
- Mix 2 eggs in a bowl with a little bit of milk. Coat skillet with butter or coconut oil. Pour egg mixture in the pan and cook in one piece like a pancake. Season with sea salt, black pepper and curry powder. Flip when cooked enough to do so.
- Coat bread with Dijon or spicy mustard. Fold and place cooked egg on the bread. Top with fresh spinach and a slice of feta cheese. (You could substitute mozzarella.)
- Place in oven for a few minutes until the edges of the egg start to brown and the cheese would be warm.
- Remove from oven. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over feta, sprinkle with ground red pepper and chopped red onions.
- Admire…this is a nice looking sandwich and then enjoy!
Perfect when paired with a berry smoothie!