Have you tried our Cora Bars yet? Our original recipe was the Blueberry-Cashew Bars which we think is a very tasty combination. They have proven themselves in our house to be a perfect snack that takes a lot of that in-between meal hunger out. The SimplyDixon kitchen continues to innovate and test, and we are now ready to introduce the next in our line of specialty energy/sports/snack bars. The two defining ingredients (cherries & walnuts) each have their own health properties and come together in a very nice bar. Cherries are high in anti-oxidants that are great for cardiovascular health, and walnuts contain antioxidants, vitamin E and plant sterols (omega 3s in this case) that help manage cholesterol. Without further ado, here is the recipe for our Cherry-Walnut Cora Bar:
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup of dried cherries
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup of sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup of flax seeds (I grind ours first for a more consistent texture.)
- 1 1/2 cup of tahini (This can be replace with natural peanut butter or almond butter)
- 1 cup of honey
- Combine 2 cups rolled oats, one cup unsweetened coconut, 1 cup dried cherries, 1 cup walnuts, ½ cup sesame seeds, and ½ cup flax seed in a food processor. Chop all dry ingredients in the foodprocessor until all ingredients become generally the same size and consistency.
Mix 1 ½ cups tahini (or natural peanut butter) with 1 cup honey and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir with hand-held mixer. Tahini and Honey are both very sticky, so hand mixing is pretty messy.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. I use my hands and mash everything together until all ingredients are moist.
- On a greased baking sheet, spread mixture into a one-inch-high rectangle. I purchased the “Perfect Brownie Pan” just for making these bars. Bake at 350° F for 15 minutes or at 170 for 1 hour.