The credit for this recipe goes to Everyday Food a magazine created by Martha Stewart. I only received this magazine subscription for one year, but it was well worth it. I kept the magazines and now years later I still flip through them and pick new things I haven’t tried before. One of my favorite features of this magazines is that each month the magazine would pick an ingredient give you information and recipes for that item. Not only was Everyday Food full of delicious recipes to try, but it was also an education in cooking. The magazine does not specialize in healthy cooking, but since it use lots of whole foods the end result is healthy. This recipe packs a real punch when it comes to health because of number of ingredients.
Here a just a few and their benefits: Garlic is a natural antibiotic. That’s right next time you feel a cold coming on or just want to prevent illness reach for garlic instead of a medication. Curry Powder contains turmeric with the active ingredient of curcumin which causes the yellow color. Curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory. It can help with arthritis, heart health and even cancer! Onions are also antibacterial and antimicrobial to help keep you healthy. Eating onions regularly promotes good heart health and low blood pressure. Coconut milk provides many vitamins, minerals and even electrolytes. And once again is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-viral. Coconut milk and oil have been shown to promote weight loss. Cilantro is detoxifying to the body specifically for heavy metals and is a anti-inflammatory. Ginger is another anti-inflammatory and add in good digestion.
So if you want good health especially for you heart, this is definitely a recipe you should make time and time again. Enjoy!
- 1 Whole chicken or 3 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Medium Onions (halved and thinly)
- 16 thin slices of peeled fresh ginger
- 8 Garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 tbs of curry powder
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of coarse salt or sea salt
- 2 packages of thawed frozen peas
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cashews (optional)
- 1/4 cup of cilantro (optional)
- Combine chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and salt in a 5-quart slow cooker. Toss to ingredients to coat with seasonings.
- Cover cook on high for about 4 hours until chicken is fork-tender.
- After 4 hours remove chicken from the slow cooker.
- Stir in one can of coconut milk and peas. Allow to heat through for 20 minutes.
- While other ingredients heat shred chicken with a fork and place the meat back into the slow cooker.
- Garnish with 1/2 cup of cashews and 1/4 of chopped cilantro.
*This dish is great served over your choice of rice.