If you know me (Jeremy) you know i’m an amateur homebrewer, if you didn’t know that, you need to come over and brew with me. Anyway, one of the biggest wastes in the beer making process is all the spent grains you end up with. I have this bag about the size of a basketball full of grains that normally just get tossed…until now. I went on a mission to find some uses for those left over grains and this granola recipe is the first of 3 things i made after my most recent brew day.
- 3 cup barley grains
- 1/4 cup spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup of flax seeds (optional)
- Blend together all liquid ingredients
- Add to dry ingredients, until well distributed.
- Crumble the mixture and spread on to cookie
- Bake at 350F for 15 min.
- Use dehydrator on medium setting until dry or lowest oven setting.
- Store in covered jars.