Cora loves strawberries and she is always asking to make strawberry cake, but frozen strawberries don’t really make an appealing cake since they get all slimy when they thaw. I decided that cookies area better way to go and we’ve tried a few recipes and found this one to be especially good. It’s basically a specialized almond butter cookie recipe but we added in some chopped frozen strawberries as well as some gluten free flour to make sure the strawberries didn’t make the cookies too wet or soggy.
This recipe makes a dozen and a half cookies
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup chopped frozen strawberries
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar, or sucanat/pure cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
- 1 cup natural creamy almond butter
- 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- large flaked sea salt, to top
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Stir until consistent (it’ll be pretty thick)
- Stir in frozen strawberry pieces
- Refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Scoop out onto cookie sheet in 1Tbsp. balls and make criss-cross pattern with a fork
- Bake for 12-16 minutes.
Note: This is a recipe that was adapted from the edibleperspective.com recipe – Flourless Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter Cookies